MEETING OF THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPEAN (CEE) REGIONAL GROUP
Hotel Steigenberger, Berlin, July 1st, 1999
The meeting was attended by the representatives of: Russian Federation, Romania, Lithuania, Moldova, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic and Croatia, by total of 30 representatives.
On accepting the Agenda, it was pointed out that of total members of EBU (49 members), the countries of Central and Eastern Europe take part by 21 members, It is a rather big part and therefore our wish is betfier cooperation, better coordination and better realization of common aims within the EBU. Besides CEE Regional Group there is Nordic Group and Southern Group (mediterranean countries) in EBU.
What have we done untill now?
Common wish and aim
is that the countries of Central and Eastern Europe have more representatives
in EBU bodies. Although the TV and Radio Committee has two of "our" representatives
- one of them as Vice President, we did not manage to have the third representative.
It was agreed that TV and Radio Committee rotate the members in order
to be better coordinated and those members are from our Group. Therefore,
we have more representatives in those committees.
The contract with General Secretary (Mr. Munch) and the Heads of some departments runs out during next year. This subject is discussed for the first time and the decision should be reached by December 1999. The contract may be extended for 1 - 2 years or new person will be nominated immediately.
It is a common opinion that EBU became a "club" of certain interests, that relation "user-payer" takes over more and more instead of relation of professional help and solidarity.
We cannot accept
the fact that there is two kind of membership in EBU: one of them rich
and technicaly improved countries and the others less improved and due
to that fact less represented and less accepted.
After Mr. Bergant's report, the representatives of CEE Regional Group reported on work of TV, Radio and Technical Commitee.
TV Committee (Ms
- there are more and more serious tasks and excellent ideas in TV Committe that are often refused under excuse of lacking the money, As a matter of fact, real and most common reason is the non-sufficient activity of Permanent Service.
- The coproductions are more expensive than before and they are designed for the high budgeted tv-stations, There is a lack of understanding for the rest of the members.
- There is not enough representatives of CEE Regional Group in the various groups of TV Committee.
- The relation"user - payer" takes over more and more and it resembles to the private agency that works for a profit only, That kind of relationship is not and should not be the primar aim of the organistions as the EBU is.
- it is neccessary to keep the Folk Group in frame of Radio Committee,
- the members of CEE Group should participate in a big project: Millenium -Special Radio Day named Voices of Europe.
- regarding the European Radio Exibition there is a question, should it, or should not be held in different cities.
- due to the financial problems our members have difficulties in participating the meetings of numerous working groups.
- The financial situation and law regulations disable our members to participate in some important proceses of digitalization.
The meeting continued
with the preparation for the common professional discussion on theme "10
years after the fall of Berlin Wall" - the situation in region.
Finnished at 12:45